This Group takes a
cross-cultural and interdisciplinary approach to the study of religious experience.
We welcome individual paper, panel and roundtable proposals on any topic in the study of mysticism,
including papers on methodological approaches to the study of mysticism. We
are especially interested in the following topics this year:
- Rudolph Otto and his notions of the Numinous and the “Mysterium Tremendum”
- Shamanism, Neo-Shamanism, and/or healing, visions, or rituals
- Mystical journeys, travel to other worlds, and heavens or hells
- Epistemology and/or the transmission of mysticism, particularly in response to the questions: What is an authentic mystical experience? How can we evaluate it? How can the insights gained through mystical truth be taught to others?
- Mysticism and transpersonal psychology
- Centering prayer
We accept submissions only
via the official
website of the AAR through its online paper proposal (OP3)
system. In order to present a paper at the Annual Meeting, one
must be a current member of the AAR.